NewsBlog 5000
The finger on the invisible hand
 

Bush Defends Iraq Policies

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

(SNN Washington) President Bush said today that there will be “more fighting ahead” in Iraq. However, the president rejected accusations of civil war and claimed that progress was being made.

Nearly four out of five Americans believe civil war will break out in Iraq.

On Sunday, former Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi told the BBC that he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war. “Violence is killing an average of 50 to 60 people a day and that if this is not civil war, then God knows what civil war is,” said Mr. Allawi.

Bush said others inside and outside Iraq think the nation has stopped short of civil war. “The way I look at the situation is the Iraqis looked and decided not to go into civil war.” Nearly four out of five Americans, including 70 percent of Republicans, believe civil war will break out in Iraq.

Cheney is horrifying.

The president also defended Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. “I don’t believe he should resign. He’s done a fine job. Every war plan looks good on paper until you meet the enemy, or read what’s on that paper, or even just look at it for more than a second, or smell it,” he said.

“I can understand how Americans are worried about whether or not we can win,” Bush said. “If I didn’t believe we could succeed, I wouldn’t be there. I wouldn’t put those kids there,” Bush declared. “The terrorists haven’t given up. They’re tough-minded. They like to kill, much like Dick Cheney. He gets that sneer going and I almost wet my pants. One time I actually let go a couple of drops. I’m just glad I wasn’t the guy who ticked him off while he was holding a shotgun. Yeah, that Cheney is horrifying,” the president said.