Central London Attacked
Thursday, July 07, 2005
(SNN London) The death toll has risen to 37 in today’s attack on London. Thirty five were killed in attacks on underground trains and another two were killed in the explosion of a double-decker bus. In addition to the death, at least 45 patients were seriously injured and over 700 people reported some type of injury.
Tony Blair took time out from the G8 summit in Scotland to address the bombings.
Tony Blair took time out from the G8 summit in Scotland to address the bombings. "They are trying to use the slaughter of innocent people to cow us, to frighten us out of doing the things that we want to do," he said in a televised statement from Downing Street. Mr. Blair added that he believed the “vast and overwhelming majority” of Muslims are “decent and law-abiding people”. It was only the ones that blow up with which he takes offense.
The London commuter system will be shut down until at least Friday
Hundreds of thousands of commuters faced difficult journeys home from London on Thursday night after a day of travel chaos. The London commuter system will be shut down until at least Friday and could be shut down longer. In addition mobile phones have been jammed due to intense call volume as people attempted to contact relatives and friends.
Early reports had suggested a power surge could be to blame for explosions on the Underground but this was later discounted. A previously unknown group calling itself the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organisation as taken responsibility for the bombing, but there is still a massive intelligence gathering operation under way to determine if the are in fact the perpetrators of the attacks. Sources at Whitehall have also said that a possible Yeti or Cyberman invasion may be to blame.