NewsBlog 5000
The finger on the invisible hand
 

Editor's Note: A Monday in May

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I had meant to post this yesterday, but I got an important piece of correspondence I had to deal with immediately. I always enjoy Memorial Day. It is a chance for me to take the day off and honor America's true heroes, people who support President Bush.

But Memorial Day is more than that. It is a chance to honor those people who have died for our country. This is so much better than Veteran's day, which forces us to honor any veterans who have fought for the United States. This group includes such people as John Murtha, Max Cleland, and John Kerry.

But back to the reason I was not able to post this message yesterday. I have received a letter that has gone around the world five times. It contained a special prayer and told me that if I sent it to ten of my friends, and they sent it to ten of their friends, we would all win the lottery.

Now I know what you're thinking. If we all won the lottery on the same day, we would only get 1/111th of the total pot. But I assume that there is some way to work around this. Maybe we will win on different days, or maybe it will be spread out during the year. Either way, I have instructed those people who received my letters to only say the prayer once the jackpot gets above $111 million.

But the real winners will be you, my readers. With only $250,000 or so left after taxes, I will not be rich enough to quit my job as editor of NewsBlog 5000, or resign my seat on the SNN board. So do not have any fear, you are not going to lose me anytime soon.

Dr. Ryan Maynard, Editor, NewsBlog 5000